You got me.   I do next to nothing in this regard.   I care about moral superiorty as much as you care about loving the brethren.

JD

-----Original Message-----
From: Kevin Deegan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: TruthTalk@mail.innglory.org
Sent: Sun, 5 Jun 2005 19:40:30 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: [TruthTalk] Social concerns and the church

Social concern, then, is a part of our divine imperative.

You've lost your moral superiority. You do NOTHING

You said it:
speech is not followed by action

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

Pure and undefiled religion is defined by James in terms of two different kinds of activities.   One has to do with our relationship to others.   A second concern is our relationship to ourselves   (Jam 1:27).     Only the most thoughtless would believe that our responsibility to others is fulfilled in a "Hi and how are you" to the fatherless  or that the fatherless are to be our only concern.  And we not much help, in some cases, if we are doing what we can to keep ourselves free of worldly influences.

Social concern, then, is a part of our divine imperative.

In James,  a book written to those who tended towards legalism and the "doing of church,"  he pointedly reminds his readers that their efforts are good for nothing if their speech is not followed by action.  Be thou warmed and fill is a part of the message of the church.   But if it is not accompanied with that which is necessary for the health and well-being of the body,  their message is of no use  (James 2:16,17)

The story of the good Samaritan is a story that is all about social responsibilities.   It's message is as much for us today as it was 2000 years ago.   It is a lie of the Father of Lies to believe and teach that the preaching of repentance is the only evangelical concern of the church.  Evangelical, I say, as if social considerations were part of the evangelical outreach of the church.   If that is what you thought I had in mind,  then I want you to know that, yes,  I confirm that impression.    God is manifest in us and how we react to the world we live in.  That is the example of Christ.   Our lives should be lived with His in mind.

He fed, perhaps, tens of thousands of people  (the loaves and the fishes  --  is the count of men only?)A dramatic statement of His concern for the social welfare of the community in which He had influence.

His miracles expressed his social concern, as well.

And passages such as Is 58:9-11 make it clear that our search for God will not be complete if it does not included an out-pouring for the hungry and the afflicted.

I, for one, admit my hypocrisy in this part of the ministry of reconciliation.   I have failed in the showing of social concern.   The question, ask by others on this in an effort to continue the fight, is nonetheless, a good question............what are we going to do about the suffering of those not so white and not so rich?    I do not know.   I am just now asking myself this question. And there will be an answer.

there is too much in scripture for me to deny.   A change of mind, for me, is in order and I appreciate Lance and Gary having things to say on this subject that have brought me to this moment.

Grace to you who know not grace,
Peace to you who know not peace,
Love  to those who show no love

and mercy upon us all