[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

It occurs to me in studying James, chapters 1 and 2,   that his argument for justification by works (James 2:24) has everything to do with benevolent ministries.   We can conclude from  the reading of James that "pure and undefiled religion" is something other than evangelism.   It is not enough to preach to the lost in the Congo or on the streets of North Hollywood.  If our ministry in the Word does not include a ministry that goes to the physical needs of those within our sphere of influence,  we are involved in a perverted gospel. That is what James is talking about when he speaks of works.

He does not conflict with Paul  when Paul is heard preaching a justification by faith APART from works  (obedience) to the Law.   Not at all.  for when James speaks of works, he has in mind benevolent activity.  Seeing needs, looking for needs and fulfilling them.

It was Christ who said "love your neighbor ...."   A wicked perversion of that imperative is the notion that we can fulfill that admonition apart from being involved in lives of those in need.   Nearly all of Christ's miracles were in fulfillment of this very issue  --  the care and keeping of those within His realm of influence.

Paul agrees in Eph 2:10 when he teaches us that we were CREATED  in Christ Jesus for good works.  In I Pet 2:12, that apostle teaches us that the strongest point of our Godly manifestation to the world is our good works.   When they despise us for what we say, they will see our good works and glorify God.

Does anyone know where it says "out do one another in good works" or something to that effect?

JD
I thought everyone knew the above to be true, but maybe not.  Thanks for pointing that out to those who may have missed it.
Terry