No Judy! 'Imageless images' is the opposite of idolatry. TFT is making a point applicable directly to our discussion He is doing that which Jesus did often in parables.
----- Original Message -----
Sent: July 02, 2005 06:12
Subject: Re: [TruthTalk] Imageless images

On Fri, 1 Jul 2005 10:41:12 -0400 "Lance Muir" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
T. F. Torrance's concept of 'imageless images' is basic to his epistemology, in particular, his concept of the relation of language to being. In his book, Reality and Evangelical Theology (InterVarsity, 1999) for example, he talks about the way in which symbolic thinking leads to dualism (p. 27). That is, we use symbols to construct in our minds 'imges' of reality which we draw out of our experience and observation. He argues that this leads to epistemological dualism. Torrance's own view is that the images we use (words/ symbols) point beyond themselves to realities for which our 'images' are inadequate, but necessary. He often used the illustration in class that the relation between words and that which words represemnt cannot be expressed in words!  Also, the relation between that which a picture seeks to represent if it is a 'picture of something' and the 'thing itself' cannot be expressed by 'drawing another picture' (image). There is a 'zero point' he used to say in such an endeavor where we surrender our minds to the reality of the thing itself that exists beyond the images we use to represent it.
Well Lance, DavidM suggested I pay attention to this - but I don't find it relevant to what we have been discussing.
Torrance is addressing the natural and I am addressing the spiritual.  Mankind does not understand spiritual truth by way of "images".  God knowing how prone we are to idolatry has not left us an imagine of Himself. Noone knows what Jesus looked like in the flesh and of course there is no image of the Holy Spirit who is like the wind, we know where he has been because we see the results.  Tell me what is the image of faith, love and/or justice?

Torrance argues that this is exactly what the physicist must do when using images to depict the invisible reality of sub atomic particles. "This involves the disciple of thinking in such a way that, through highly refined symbolic or formal structures, images are made to refer imagelessly to the realities intended." (p. 63}   "That is to say, all our theoretical statements fall short of the reality they indicate and are constantly revisable in the light of it." (p. 66).

Torrance is trying to merge natural with spiritual just like Aquinas did when he tried to merge Aristotle with scripture.  God reveals Himself to us in his own way and it is by using words - words given by prophets that He has chosen; words containing life and light; words inspired by the Holy Spirit none of which makes any sense to the carnal mind.  We receive them by faith and when we are willing to do this understanding comes from God.

Dead religion along with the occult  is what clings to images, symbols, and icons - judyt