Reflecting Theologically on Popular Culture as Meaningful by TurnauLance, if
you would, please provide only a link to the articles you desire for us to
read, and then give us at least a line or two concerning what you would want
us to see in that article.  Including the entire articles has a tendency to
bog down email systems for those of us who keep the posts rather than
deleting them.  Saving many posts with lots of HTML code and graphics uses
up a lot of resources.

I think this article by Turnau illustrates some of the problems on TruthTalk
between those who lean toward the Calvinistic view of sin and those who lean
toward the more evangelical view of sin.  Obviously, I think Turnau is
walking off the straight and narrow path with his discourse.  I actually
burst out in laughter here at work when I read one of his introductory
paragraphs.  Here is the paragraph:

Turnau wrote:
"Withdrawing from certain cultural texts and replacing them with others will
not render the audience less sinful. Rather, the compulsive and organic
nature of sin means that in eschewing certain cultural idolatries by
disengaging ourselves from the surrounding culture, we are probably only
setting up more socially acceptable idolatries that will be harder to detect
and repent of (e.g., materialism, or the family, or pride in our own
holiness)."

In other words, if we withdraw from the sinful engagements of this world, we
will not become less sinful, but rather we will only disguise our own sin
(which can never be avoided), replacing it with idolatries which are simply
harder to detect and repent of.  LOL.  Right.  Avoiding sin and separating
ourselves from this world system in which we live only makes us self
righteous and would never make us holy.  Do you really believe this stuff?

I don't mean to sound antagonistic, and I probably disappoint you by
commenting in this way, but most of the article was a sleeper for me, except
for this humorous paragraph.  It was a lot of the same-old, same-old,
worldly, brain-washing philosophy I find in virtually every college.  It
facilitates an ivory tower mentality of being engaged with and involved with
this world while maintaining an air of superiority "in Christ."  Somebody
needs to explain to Turnau what real self righteousness looks like.