Sent: Tuesday, July 19, 2005 12:47 PM
Subject: Re: [TruthTalk] Re:John 16:13,14

On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 09:52:43 -0600 "Bill Taylor" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
It is right there in Genesis.  God is the one who told Adam that in the day he ate from the wrong tree - he would SURELY DIE.  Are you saying He lied and that Adam didn't die that day?  I know I have asked you this before and you have ignored the question.

No, Judy, Adam did not die that day, and God did not lie that day either; rather he clothed Adam in the promise of the Seed. It was he, the Lamb slain from the foundation of the world, who "died" metaphorically that day, in that the sentence of death was now upon him, he being the New Adam, the Representative of the old.

I don't think so Bill; you need to rethink this.  Jesus is the lamb slain BEFORE the foundation of the world so it was not he who died that day.  If you are going to deal in that kind of metaphor then he was already dead before the first Adam was ever created.

Now, the point is, Judy, that you can disagree with me if you like, but you cannot point to Scripture and say, "Here it says, 'upon that day Adam died spiritually.' It is not there.

Not in those exact words Bill but God did not tell Adam that a substitute would day in the day that he ate, he didn't say anything about a lamb dying either.  No God said "In the day YOU eat of it YOU will SURELY die" (Genesis 2:17)  Read it.  What you are doing right now is the problem with Christendom today.  You are wresting the clear Word
of God to make it fit some preconceived doctrine.

What you are dealing with is conjecture, nothing else. This in itself is not wrong, as long as you realize that that is what you are doing. But conjecture is not definitive in the way that explicit language is definitive. Your position is not clearly articulated; yours is a belief, just like mine is a belief. Yours just happens to find its source in Augustine. I am fine with that: why aren't you? Bill

Mine Bill is as clearly articulated as you can get.  Yours is total conjecture.  If Jesus died that day rather than Adam then why were they kicked out of the garden?  It shouldn't have mattered whether or not they ate of the tree of life ...