Izzy in blue:

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Debbie Sawczak
Sent: Monday, August 22, 2005 10:50 PM
To: TruthTalk@mail.innglory.org
Subject: Re: [TruthTalk] Adam - sin - and the rest of us

I am thinking that a one-to-one association between demonic activity and conditions affecting certain parts of the brain is a mistake. Agreed.

Where these conditions can be adequately explained by observable physical imbalances, malfunctions, damage, or whatever, why would one ascribe them, as a category, to demons? I have no doubt that such physical dysfunction or damage can be initiated by demons, but must it be in every case of the disorder, or even in most cases? Absolutely not IMO.  That is, if some cases of schizophrenia are actually demonic possession or oppression, must that be typical? Demons can probably cause eczema and bowel cancer too. Absolutely possible IMO. As for healings, God can heal any condition miraculously, but his doing so (no matter the words of the prayer) is not in itself evidence that the condition was caused by demons, even though the healing has spiritual significance. True IMO.

I think we should not be in haste to chalk stuff up to demons, nor to conclude that a mentally ill person has been spiritually weak or negligent, has been giving footholds to the devil, or needs to repent. It becomes a way of blaming the individual or casting aspersions on her spiritual integrity. Agreed—that was not the intended meaning of our conversation. But it does need to be considered if one isn’t sure of the source, would you agree?

It is also a way of denying that we are intrinsically physical beings. Though not reducible to chemicals and tissue, let's face it, if the chemicals or tissue are messed up, we are disabled to just that extent, whether it is colour blindness or PMS, diabetes or dementia, arthritis or bipolar disorder. Disability limits the choices open to us. What exactly is the extent to which it does so in each case? We don't know. Not knowing, we believe the best of people.  We can’t set people free of demons if we assume there are none.  Sometimes they have them and do wish to be set free. We might want to at least look into that option.  But not usually I’d say.  Have you read psychiatrist M. Scott Peck’s “People of the Lie”, where he describes exorcisms he has witnessed?  He says “evil” should be a valid psychiatric diagnosis. I agree. izzy

Debbie