Couldn't agree more.  In fact,  a very good illustration.   I hope you see that when Bill or I speak of obedience,  we are saying precisely what you have said.   At least it seems that way to me.  We do not obey to get saved but because of that circumstance.   When it is all said and done, we all believe in obedience  -  just for differing reasons.   I hasten to add that this difference is substantial.

Anyway  -  great post and a very good illustration.

John

-----Original Message-----
From: Terry Clifton <wabbits1234@earthlink.net>
To: TruthTalk@mail.innglory.org
Sent: Tue, 25 Oct 2005 09:44:07 -0500
Subject: Re: [TruthTalk] Change

This is all true, John, but we have to be careful not to think we are doing these things to become more Christlike..  We will grow in faith and in love because we are Christians, because Christ is in us.  A squirrel does not learn to climb a tree so he can be a squirrel.  He climbs a tree because he is a squirrel.  It is natural for squirrels to climb trees, and it is natural for Christians to grow.  It is natural for Christians to pray and to read their Bible.  It is also natural for them to humble themselves. Those who do not do so are the oddity, if they are Christians at all.

NACR Daily Meditation for Monday, Oct 24, 2005

We ought always to thank God for you, brothers, and rightly so,
because your faith is growing more and more, and the love every one
of you has for each other is increasing. Therefore, among God's
churches we boast about your perseverance and faith in all the
persecutions and trials you are enduring. 2 Thessalonians 1:4

There is no magical formula for change. But there are some helpful
principles.

First of all, change happens little by little. As this text puts it,
our capacity for trust 'grows more and more' and our ability to love
and to receive love 'increases'. These changes, like all of the most
important changes in life, do not happen as a one-time event. An
important change may require us to make a decision at a certain
momen t, it also requires a process that takes place over months and
years.

Second, change is not a rac e. The change process can not be rushed.
We often want to 'hurry it up', but we can't. Change that is real
and long-lasting, requires patience and perseverance. When we have
been practicing our dysfunctions for decades, we can expect that
unlearning them will also take time.

Third, change requires that we practice the disciplines of honesty
and fellowship. There is no recovery unless we find ways to move out
of denial and isolation. What a wonderful gift it is to be able to
share our struggles and victories with people who will 'always thank
God for us' and who will encourage us, affirm us and hold us
accountable.

Lord, I want my faith to grow.
I want my capacity for love to increase.
Little by little.
One day at a time.
That's what I need.
Help me to mov e out of denial,
And out of isolation.
Help me to do my part to make change possible in my life.
Amen.

Copyright 1991 Dale and Juanita Ryan