JD wrote: [The prodigal son] He was never corrected by
his father.

As I understand it, correction is designed to direct
one to true repentance. Since the prodigal son
returned home, repenting. There's no need to punish
one already truly repentant. Wouldn't you say that
"wrong track" and his "manner of living" were sinful
and not just mistaken?

Blessings

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2005/10/30/nchas30.xml&sSheet=/portal/2005/10/30/ixportaltop.html