I was listening to a CD series yesterday  (CD #15  ).   The speaker made a very good point,  I think.  I won't burden you with the greek words,   but this is the giest of what he had to say.

The NT writers actually had a choice when it came to using a particular word to reference the church.

There was a word that spoke of a group of people assembled to serve a particular god.  There was another word to describe a group gathered to consider the various concepts relating to a diety.  There was a third word with some kind of religious connotation and then, there was this word ekklesia from which we have our word "church."   The gk word describes a secular or community meeting of citizens for some kind of public good.    As we view the didache of Christ against the back drop of benevolent ministry   --  spiritual teachings, if you will, tied to a social concern ,  we can understand how it is that    the word for a meeting of the community was used instead of some "religious "  word.

JD