My second question? If you have no rationalization, just say so instead of dodging it.

From: Dave Hansen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: TruthTalk@mail.innglory.org
Subject: Re: [TruthTalk] Moses sees god's face and lives in the PoGP!
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2005 00:14:02 -0800

*if Moses did not see god's "face" (as "face" described in Exodus on Mt. Sainai, upon which God said no man could look and live), then the statement about him enduring it is unnecessary,*

DAVEH: Just as unnecessary as it would have been for the Bible to suggest that merely hearing the voice of God would bring death.......

*[33] Did ever people hear the voice of God speaking out of the midst of the fire, as thou hast heard, and live?* Dt 4

.........The people back then had the same mistaken understanding that you seem to have, Perry. They misunderstood their relationship to God, assuming that God could not be seen, otherwise the person seeing (or even hearing his voice) God would die. They could not fathom that it was possible for man to have a direct and personal relationship with God. The folks were even afraid to get close to Moses after he conversed with the Lord........

*[30] And when Aaron and all the children of Israel saw Moses, behold, the skin of his face shone; and they were afraid to come nigh him.* Ex 34

........It is very apparent that Moses' exchange with God was something totally unexpected by the folks back then, due to their errant belief that one could not see God without suffering death.

_*As far as "similitude", it does not mean an exact replica, or the thing itself. Furthermore, it refers directly to whatever form is present. If god shows himself as a burning bush, then his similitude is as a burning bush. *_

DAVEH: Huh?!?!?! Where did you get that, Perry? Where in the Bible does similitude suggest that? Quite the opposite.....As you will see below, God's */similitude/* was *not *a burning bush (note vss 12 & 15). Here are three verses from Deut that use the term similitude.......
*
[12] And the LORD spake unto you out of the midst of the fire: ye heard the voice of the words, but saw no /similitude/; only ye heard a voice. [15] Take ye therefore good heed unto yourselves; for ye saw no manner of **/similitude /**on the day that the LORD spake unto you in Horeb out of the midst of the fire: [16] Lest ye corrupt yourselves, and make you a graven image, the **/similitude /**of any figure, the likeness of male or female,*

...........Notice how verse 12 mentions hearing a voice, but seeing no */similitude/*. Interestingly, verse 15 reinforces verse 12 in countering your above comment about Moses seeing God in the burning bush by /again /mentioning that God's voice was heard, but the */similitude/* of God was not seen at that time. IOW....Moses did see the burning bush, but he did not see the */similitude/* of God at that time. Reading on to verse 16, */similitude/* was used to warn against creating figures in a human likeness that could be used as objects of worship. Now Perry, if this does not give you a good idea of what */similitude /*means when the Bible says Moses saw the */similitude/* of the Lord, how do you define it? Do you still think the burning bush represented the */similitude/* of God?

*Besides, if the Torah is attributed to Moses, why would he have to write another book, repeating, and with contradiction, the Torah? *

You've lost me on that one, Perry. Care to explain what you are thinking on that one? IF you perceive a contradiction, then perhaps your understanding of what was said was lacking. Or alternatively, perhaps the account is from two different perspectives, or perhaps it is not complete. Until I know what you are specifically referring to, I don't quite know how to answer.

*We are not destined to agree, and that is okay with me.*

I think you've missed the point, Perry. You aren't just disagreeing with me on this.....you are disagreeing with the Bible.

*on to my second question* For what purpose? As I pointed out in detail, LDS Scripture agreed with the Bible in the instance of Moses seeing God. That neither LDS Scripture nor the Bible agree with what you *think *happened between Moses and God pretty well defines your position, Perry. If you don't want to agree with the Bible that Moses saw God, there really isn't much more to discuss. As you said..../*Fini.*/

Charles Perry Locke wrote:

Dave,

Simply put, in Moses 1:2, PoGP, *if Moses did not see god's "face" (as "face" described in Exodus on Mt. Sainai, upon which God said no man could look and live), then the statement about him enduring it is unnecessary,* because we know that men can gaze upon whatever form god chooses to present himself, and endure, except whatever he called his "face" on Sainai. The implication in Moses 1:2 is that Moses should not have endured viewing God, but did, thus, that he was seeing god's "face". If moses did not see god's face in Moses 1:2, then enduring that feat was no big deal for moses...hardly worth being called out. On the other hand, if he was seeing god's face in Moses 1:2 and endured it, then Moses 1:2 is contradicting scripture.

Furthermore, if god were a man, why would he not appear as a man every time he presents himself? Why a different form every time, but never directly as a man? The use of body parts to describe his image on Sinai is not unreasonable since these are certainly the terms Moses was familiar with, and the ones he obviously chose to describe the experience.
_*
As far as "similitude", it does not mean an exact replica, or the thing itself. Furthermore, it refers directly to whatever form is present. If god shows himself as a burning bush, then his similitude is as a burning bush. *_

*Besides, if the Torah is attributed to Moses, why would he have to write another book, repeating, and with contradiction, the Torah? *

I am done with this topic. I have stated my position. /*Fini.*/ *We are not destined to agree, and that is okay with me.* Get you last shot in, then...

*on to my second question*...how the mormon god, who is "without beginning of days" is also a created being, thus, with a finite beginning.

Perry