Indeed, science is a subset of the theological, but theologians seem to have
abandoned serious scientific research.  Hundreds of years ago, the
scientists were clergy men well trained in theology.  Charles Darwin himself
was an ordained minister.  It was actually a part of qualifying to be a
scientist.  Virtually all of the institutions of higher learning were
established by churches and clergy men.  What happened that has brought us
to where we are now, where science seems to be in the mindset of all as
being the pillar of truth?  The Scriptures say that the church is the pillar
of truth.  Does that statement correspond to anyone's thinking these days?
We think of churches as social clubs built around theology, not as strong
institutions of education where one can discover the treasures of wisdom and
truth.  Clearly, there has been a falling away among the churches and
theologians.  In fact, I find more theologians campaigning for the theory of
evolution to explain origins, and more sure of evolution as being the right
solution, than I do scientists.  Nearly all of the pillars of evolution have
expressed doubt and skepticism at one time or another that evolution is a
satisfactory answer, but the theologians talk like it is an open and shut
case.

There are a lot of reasons why this is the case.  When I read scientific
literature, I find a great amount of reductionistic thinking, skepticism, a
willingness to disprove and discard false ideas.  When I read theological
literature, it is all about how to re-explain the same things over and over
again.  Reductionism is even a dirty word.  Skepticism is discouraged.  In
all, it seems to be all about tickling ears with some new way to describe an
old idea.  Very disappointing, and even boring for me.

I wish the churches would rise up again to be the pillar of truth and wisdom
that God has ordained for them to be.  I wish they would embrace education
strongly and do a better job than the public school system.  I wish our
understanding of the separation of church and state was such that it did not
discriminate against religious institutions of learning.  I wish the
churches did not discourage the tools of science which have helped it
progress rapidly in the accumulation of knowledge; namely, reductionism and
skepticism should not be dirty words.  Neither should the word "dualism" be
shunned.  These aspects of theology hurt the progress of knowledge and
wisdom.

You had asked about literature, perhaps in relationship to this.  I would
never consider teaching a course on Theology and Science without including
Thomas Kuhn's classic work (which your friend Victor did, btw) but also Karl
Popper's, "The Logic of Scientific Discovery" and J.R. Platt's classic 1964
publication in Science, "Strong Inference."  I have brought these works up
before, and you ridiculed me for even mentioning such "dated" publications.
The thing is, these works do help convey how science is different from other
disciplines of learning, and what makes science progress rapidly in
knowledge and wisdom while other systems stagnate.  Not every scientist
agrees that these men are right, but most of the colleagues I have been
associated with do and most of what they say resonates with my understanding
very well.  Their works are not the newest fad, but they make timeless good
points nonetheless.  I think they truly help pinpoint why science has been
successful over the last few hundred years in advancing knowledge.