Well said again, David.
----- Original Message ----- From: "David Miller" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <TruthTalk@mail.innglory.org>
Sent: January 20, 2006 16:09
Subject: Re: [TruthTalk] Judy, Lance, Bill, John, David?

Hi Judy. Calvin is generally NOT considered a church father. I think over
generalization is a big problem here.

By the way, the writings of Calvin might disagree slightly with you about
the reason for the Virgin birth, but they seem to be saying the same thing
as you in regards to Jesus being exempt from the corruption of flesh that is
common to men.  Calvin believed that Jesus was such as Adam was before the
fall.  Consider the following quote from John Calvin:

From Calvin's Institutes of the Christian Religion
Chapter 13 - CHRIST CLOTHED WITH THE TRUE SUBSTANCE OF HUMAN NATURE.
It is childish trifling to maintain, that if Christ is free from all taint, and was begotten of the seed of Mary, by the secret operation of the Spirit,
it is not therefore the seed of the woman that is impure, but only that of
the man. We do not hold Christ to be free from all taint, merely because he was born of a woman unconnected with a man, but because he was sanctified by
the Spirit, so that the generation was pure and spotless, such as it would
have been before Adam's fall. Let us always bear in mind, that wherever
Scripture adverts to the purity of Christ, it refers to his true human
nature, since it were superfluous to say that God is pure. Moreover, the
sanctification of which John speaks in his seventeenth chapter is
inapplicable to the divine nature. This does not suggest the idea of a
twofold seed in Adam, although no contamination extended to Christ, the
generation of man not being in itself vicious or impure, but an accidental
circumstance of the fall. Hence, it is not strange that Christ, by whom our
integrity was to be restored, was exempted from the common corruption.

Should we not consider writings like Calvin in the same way that we would
the writings of you or others on TruthTalk?  Are they not expressions of
what other Christians perceive truth to be? Why should the fact that Calvin
or the church fathers are no longer with us put them at a disadvantage.
Rather, perhaps we should offer them a little more respect because they have
already finished the race and are waiting for us to finish ours.

David Miller.

----- Original Message ----- From: Judy Taylor