Lance wrote:
> Main point from Dean: A child can 'understand'.
> To some extent a child CAN understand.
> However, ... a child does NOT have the
> capacity to sign on TT and resolve matters of
> difference say, between Bill Taylor and David
> Miller.

I'm with Lance on this one.  Let me make a parallel point.

Salvation is not based upon intellect, and therefore salvation is not based
upon any intellectual understanding.  All that is needed is to hear the
truth and believe it.  There is a basic level of spiritual understanding,
but for the most part, intellect is not involved.  It is a hearing and faith
thing.

Now knowledge can go far beyond this.  So can understanding.  This knowledge
and understanding produces good, and so we appreciate it.  But such does not
make the knowledgeable and intelligent better than the ignorant and those of
average or below average intelligence.  Knowledge and intelligence are only
different functions within the body of Christ.  Just as the eye is not
better than the ear, mouth, or foot, so it is with the intellectual versus
the non-intellectual.

What I see Judy and Dean objecting to is the elevation of intellectual
understanding to a place where it ought not be.  In other words, must one
understand the teachings of Torrance, Barth, etc. in order to experience the
Lord?  Are the ones who have studied the writings of these theologians
better off than the ones who have not?

Last point for Judy.  When we get into deeper theological studies, we often
do so without the participation of children.  For example, at my home church
meeting last Sunday, we got into eschatology, studying a little about the
last days, the antichrist, etc.  There was a good bit of history and Judeo
background that I discussed.  What I shared was far beyond my youngest
children's ability to understand, so I don't require them to sit in on such
discussions.  However, there were many adults there who were interested and
could understand and interact.  So what do we do?  Do we skip the study
because children can't understand, or do we allow the children and adults to
persue different paths in their studies?  I opt for the latter.  Do you
understand where I am coming from?