Thanks, Debbie, for the fascinating report.  We have a set of PVC pipes in our basement, saved from when my percussionist husband performed a Blue Man type piece at church.  If they ever come to St. Louis I will pay whatever exorbitant price it takes to see them in person! Izzy

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Lance Muir
Sent: Sunday, March 12, 2006 2:05 AM
To: TruthTalk@mail.innglory.org
Subject: [TruthTalk] Fw: Blue Man Group

----- Original Message -----

Sent: March 11, 2006 22:20

Subject: Blue Man Group

Like I said, it was amazing. (I told you I was prepared to dislike it, but behind the advance guard I put up sometimes, my mind is usually open. Sancho Panza comes back and says “It’s only a windmill, Quixote, lighten up,” and I put away the sword.) The show was an endless, rapid stream of acts. A few were silly and gross—for the first 15 minutes I thought, man, this is lame, I am going to be bored to tears, does anyone actually think this is funny? But most of them were clever and original, and some were truly funny. Some were social commentary, and a few were downright beautiful. It was a huge sensory feast, at least for eyes and ears.

The best part for me was the sound, the musical segments that were interspersed among the other acts. The Blue Men are all three rock drummers, and absolutely breathtakingly skilled. The rhythms were complicated, all three of them doing different ones that worked together, so that it was almost as much a treat to watch their hands as to listen to the sound. They were backed by a band, high up above in boxes of dark glass so you could just barely see the guys inside, but while the music was rocky, it was not a typical rock band; when I think back, I don’t recall that I heard any electric guitar, for example. The sound was almost exclusively percussive, but pitched, so that the strokes made different tones, melodies and harmonies. All of the pieces were fast and complex, but some were feverish while others were more peaceful. And they drummed on anything and everything. At one point one of the men stood with two great lengths of plastic pipe, about six inches in diameter, while his companion drummed on the outside of them. The guy holding them pushed one piece in and out of the other to varying degrees so as to give the drumming different pitches. Then the third guy came with another set of pipes and joined them all up, so both guys were pushing and pulling. It was the most interesting sound, electrically amplified. In another piece, one of the many layers of rhythm was a Blue Man pounding at the rate of about one beat per second with a huge hummer on an enormous gong-sized drum, hung vertically. Again, as interesting visually as it was auditorially, watching the cycle his body went through in lifting and swinging this hammer. You could feel the vibrations in your chest. In another piece, they were crunching cereal in different rhythms, and the crunches were amplified. (Well, it probably wasn’t the amplification of their actual live crunching, but a similar noise, synchronized with their munching—and that was the other amazing thing, the perfect synchronization, the perfect timing, of everything; the band members up above provided unusual but appropriate electronic sound effects for the actions on stage, detailed and perfectly timed.)

A lot was done with paint, too: near the beginning, all three Blue Men were drumming fantastically on tall drums, and every now and then one would quickly stop and squirt paint onto the heads of the others’ drums so that as they drummed, a shower of coloured droplets would be constantly splashing upward. Interesting use of filming, as well; a cameraman moved around the stage filming many of the sequences, and the action was projected simultaneously on screens on the stage so that you had the real guys as well as their image from a different angle. For one segment the cameraman followed them backstage and outside into the street, while we watched on the screens. (A taxi was flagged down by the gestures of one Blue Man, and the others got in and left while he wasn’t looking. They returned seconds later. Once again, I’m not sure if all of that was actually live or partly prefilmed.) Also, they did no talking. There were some multimedia segments with recorded voice-overs, but no live talking, and even when they brought a person up from the audience to participate improv-style in one segment, she made no noise whatsoever, even kept herself from laughing out loud although positively shaking with laughter. Their faces were totally deadpan, but their eyes wide and their gazes penetrating, making plenty of eye contact with the audience. Every now and then they came down and went through the audience; we were in the front row and I was on an aisle, so one of them came by me every time they came down and would gaze, but soulfully rather than threateningly, at me. Being in the front row, we were given plastic ponchos, but nothing landed us because we were a bit off to the side. I did get a little red paint splashed on my feet and ankles.

It wasn’t all drumming, of course, but I don’t want to even try to describe all the acts. I was just blown away by the sheer number of original ideas one after the other without pause, almost too many to enjoy properly, but not in a way that was frustrating. It was as if they had spent their entire imaginations on us.

In one of the very last sequences, while the Blue Men were playing a very evocative, peaceful, melodic, rhythmic number, scores of long, flexible, translucent ribbed tubes about six inches in diameter (like very big vacuum cleaner hoses) suddenly and silently fell from the high ceiling in pairs. The two hoses in each pair were suspended from the ends of a short horizontal bar, and this bar rotated so that the hoses coiled around each other above our heads. Coloured lights were shining down the tubes so that they were glowing in different hues. It was such a lovely surprise! At that moment I felt pure gratitude. The words that formed in my mind were, “Thank you for having all these wonderful ideas!” They were in the lobby afterwards, and people were having themselves photographed with them. If they had not been so busy, I'd have said my thank you to them aloud.

My sister-in-law Chris had said the theatre was at Yonge and Dundas, so we parked near there, but it turned out to be actually north of Wellesley (!), so we had quite a long walk; fortunately it was a mild evening. The walk up and back was a treat in itself; on the way back we stopped at Starbucks and got chai latte and drank it as we strolled south. I love Toronto, and I love Yonge Street. Whenever I go back I miss it; that’s one of the attractions of going to QV, it’s an excuse to go to Toronto. Georgetown is such a bore. We passed the store where I bought my wedding dress over 22 years ago—it was not a proper wedding dress at all but a matching white top and long skirt with ribbon and lace trim, 100% cotton, made in India, and it cost $30 in a shop full of stuff from India and smelling of sandalwood and incense, you know the kind; I was quite the little hippie back then. Now it is some other kind of store, of course. But I see the head shop a little further down is still there...

I wish I had saved a program. I carried one halfway back down to the car, then got tired of carrying it and threw it in the garbage. I didn't even read the background on the guys. The next moment I thought how typical this was of the difference between you and me. Of course, I guess I could read it on the Internet if I wanted...