> On Jul 9, 2014, at 3:41 AM, Cédric Krier <cedric.kr...@b2ck.com> wrote:

> >> I was not talking about a roadmap of new features but a roadmap (or todo
> >> list) of features to be removed (such as multi-database support).
> >
> > Something added or something removed, it is the same. It is an
> > improvement and they fail on the same workflow.
> >

> That being said, I am not sure that removing multiple-database support is
> a “improvement” that has wider acceptance.
>
> I personally feel its a step backward. Multi-database support has been a
> critical advantage of tryton and we use it for a variety of reasons from
> having a
> demo/playground database in the same environment for users to try things
> safely along with production database to having multi-tenant systems.
>
> From the previous discussion about the topic and the available information I
> don’t see why multi-database support should be removed. If creating and
> dropping databases is the issue, we should remove that instead.

What I've read so far, dropping multi-database support has the
following advantages:

- Can solve a security issue (details not available for those without
access to security issues)
- Allows creating new field types in modules
- Allows adding new protocols in modules
- Simplifies the code base
- Allows improving the usage of maps/paths with WSGI (don't know the details)

On the other hand I don't personally see many problems with removing
the feature because:

- Tryton client has profiles which make it easy for the user to change
from one server to another, so demo/playground database should not be
a problem, I think
- Multi-tenant systems should be easy to implement with other tools,
maybe the only issue is that you'll need some more resources because
you'll have several trytond processes but I guess you need that anyway
if you want to provide a decent service

Also, as you already said, database management can be removed because:

- It means we have to deal with some issues with Tryton locking
template1 and disallowing the creation of new databases
- Dumping/restoring databases does not scale

--
Albert Cervera i Areny
Tel. 93 553 18 03