On Mon, Sep 09, 2002 at 08:46:19PM -0500, Bill Sawyer wrote:
> I want to write some type of script that will run as a cron job every night
> after the logs roll over.  It will do the following (excuse the pseudocode,
> it's the best way I can explain all of this).
>
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> MAILFILE=mail.tmp
>
> Set $DATE with date +"%Y%m%d"
> cp access_log.1 to $DATE.log
>
> echo "From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (nobody)" > $MAILFILE
> echo "To: $SENDER" >> $MAILFILE
> echo "Subject: Log files: $DATE" >> $MAILFILE #where date is the variable;
> excuse my horrible syntax if that doesn't work
> echo "\n" >> $MAILFILE
>
> sendmail -t $SENDER < $MAILFILE and with $date.log attached
>
> I guess I need to do some perl work for this one.  Help would be
> appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Bill

If the destination is ultimately another Linux system, then you
might want to just look into running syslog to log on the
destination server.

Otherwise, I would suggest you look into logcheck.  It generally
only sends "interesting" logs, but could be configured to send
everything.

--
Don Bindner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>