Hello Everyone,

            I finally got around to building my dedicated Linux box.  I
installed Redhat 8.0 on it 2-3 days ago.  I have been playing around
with it and slowly learning how to use it.  However, I must admit, I am
still entirely a noob.  I have gotten some gaming servers running for
the CGA (Computer Gaming Association) and I am looking to do some more
of that in the near future.  What I am trying to figure out now is how
to obtain a sub-domain name like the windows boxes seem to automatically
pickup.  For example, my windows box pulls nauce.truman.edu as the
computer name is "nauce".  I would like to make my Linux box something
like "nauceserv.truman.edu"  and I have been trying to do absolutely
everything I can to make this work.  I noticed there are three relevant
sections under the network options of RH 8.  The DHCP "hostname setting,
the "hosts" definitions, and the DNS hostname setting.  I believe I have
tried every possible combination within those three fields.  That's all
through the Gnome interface.  I tried to hunt around with the command
line also.  I did some stuff in the etc dir; but it all seems to be same
as what the GUI shows me.

Still no luck.  Any ideas?  You can email me back or phone me at x5190.
You can also stop by - Dobson 213.

Thanks a whole lot TSLUG!