Hello!

Careful.  This is long.

At this week's meeting, the discussion was spirited and wide-ranging.
Some of the action included Don's demo of Knoppix and preparation for
the installfest.  Don't forget!  It really is this weekend at 1pm in
VH1200!!  Bring your box, your monitor (if at all possible), a distro
disc if you want (they will also be provided), and your power cables.
Maybe your mouse & keyboard (makes life simpler).  Anyway, attend!!  :)

We now have two fairly large things we need to plan/talk about.  The
first is our MOSIX cluster.  A cluster is cool because it lets you
spread processing out over several computers (or, increase your total
computing power by connecting multiple machines together, depending on
how you choose to look at it).  A MOSIX cluster is especially cool
because it automatically spreads your program's processes out over the
machines in the cluster - you don't have to write special code into
your programs.  Anyone who is interested should read up a little bit,
and email me or the list saying they're interested.  If we can get 3-4
people who want to commit some time to it, I think it'd be a great
project.

The other project we are involved in is the Linux Workshop Series.
This thing is so new I may have just made up the name of it :)  Anyway,
the other presidents and I met with Dr. Beck this afternoon.  He is
fully behind the effort.  We decided to have what amounts to a
division-wide test run this semester (in preparation for a well-funded,
campus/town wide set of workshops next Fall), after Spring Break, on
the 25, 26, and 27 of March.  Here's what we think might happen:

ACM meets on Tuesdays, in this case, that's the 25th.  During this time
slot, all three organizations will sponsor an introductory workshop
that deals with Linux and Free Software in a big-picture kind of way.
TSLUG meets, as you all know, on Wednesdays.  That's the 26th for those
of you following along at home.  Again, all three organizations will be
sponsoring all the workshops.  On this Wednesday, we'd like to see a
talk/introduction to the Linux user environment from a command prompt
perspective (X will be left alone at least for a little while).  We may
include permissions in here, we may not.  A lot of the down & dirty
content depends on who we can get to present, and what you guys say -
if you want something specific for any of the days, or have any
suggestions about any of this event at all, pleasepleaseplease email
them to me or the list and they will certainly be considered.  Anyway,
Thursday is TWICS's usual meeting time; we will be using it for an
introduction to text editors by creating a rudimentary web page.  It is
likely that both major editors (vi & emacs) will be presented.  This is
the culmination of the three days, with people actually walking through
a baby project and using some of the things they've learned.  All these
workshops would be interactive, with users following along on Xenon,
Kronos, or their own machine.

Also both ACM and TWICS want an Installfest dedicated to this.  This
semester, we'll wait and see how many people demand one after the
workshops, but for next semester, it would probably be cool to kick
things off with an installfest.

What do you think?  Seriously, if you think it's outrageous, either
good or bad, email the list and express yourself.  We want input, and
we definitely need to gauge the interest there is in this.  For what
it's worth, I imagine that, over time, higher level topics will start
to pop up in this format - if it lives through the next semester or
two.  By the way, if anyone has insight about the application process
FAC uses to distribute money for speakers/events, it'd be much
appreciated if you'd tell me - at this point, the three organizations
are considering a joint application to fund a Big set of workshops next
semester, including a keynote speaker (finally :) ).

Yeah.  I'm still not done.  Does anyone have any favorite/awesome
reference cards/tutorials that deal with the proposed topics?  That'd
be nice.  Also, just so you can start planning to attend (!), we'll be
having a meeting the week we come back from Spring Break to prepare for
the workshop thingie.  Watch this space for more details. :)

So, I'm not sure that's all, but it's a lot (probly too much.  sorry).
I think I'll leave you with that.  See you tomorrow!
Nate