A better keyword would be iptables. Its the name of the part of the kernel which does the firewall. So you may have to recompile your kernel to get it to work.

Really a firewall is only necessary if you have ports open that you would like to close to the outside world (but would like to keep them open for localhost/can't close them). For instance I run cups (a printer daemon) I my computer which opens a port on 651. Its nice to just have it closed off.

I configured my iptables originally with kmyfirewall. The nice thing about kmyfirewall is that makes setting up the firewall relatively easy and it creates a nice shell script that you can edit directly.

Alexander Horn wrote:
So I just googled for /firewall linux/ and I am now as almost as clueless as before because there is so much stuff out there.

Where could I get started on that issue of setting up a good firewall?
What do I have to pay attention to in particular?

Thank you a lot. .alex