Dear all,

I'd like to give you an update about recent activities regarding a proposed BOF
on Transport Services for the London IETF. The website for this activity is
here https://sites.google.com/site/transportprotocolservices/  and the BOF
request is visible in the IETF Wiki: http://wiki.tools.ietf.org/bof/trac/

There was a side meeting in Vancouver, in which the major feedback was that we
should not be too focused on the Berkeley sockets API and what existing
transports can provide, but really look at what applications currently use and
what services they want. We have incorporated this feedback and begun with some
homework in this direction - two related drafts have recently been submitted:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-montpetit-transport-use-cases-00 which
discusses some application use cases and derived requirements, and the draft
described below,
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-hurtig-tsvwg-transport-apis-00 which discusses
transport APIs. Essentially the first draft shows some futuristic things (what
applications could do in the future), while the focus of the second draft is on
how we could improve existing applications by only updating the middleware that
they use.

If you want to get a better idea of what this whole thing is about, you could
look at the problem statement draft:
draft-moncaster-tsvwg-transport-services-01

We're glad to get contributions or feedback (which should be directed to the
transport-services list, i.e. transport-servi...@ifi.uio.no  /
https://sympa.uio.no/ifi.uio.no/info/transport-services  ).

Thanks, cheers,
Michael