From: tsv-area [mailto:tsv-area-boun...@ietf.org] On Behalf Of Spencer Dawkins
at IETF
Sent: Wednesday, July 12, 2017 10:30 AM
To: Bob Briscoe <i...@bobbriscoe.net>
Cc: tsv-area@ietf.org >> tsv-area@ietf.org <tsv-area@ietf.org>; pa...@irtf.org
Subject: Re: [Panrg] Proposed Path Aware Networking RG

Brian, Bob, and Lars,

On Wed, Jul 12, 2017 at 7:52 AM, Bob Briscoe
<i...@bobbriscoe.net<mailto:i...@bobbriscoe.net>> wrote:
Brian,

1/ The IRTF sounds like a good landing point for all the previous attempts to
get the IETF to add path-awareness protocols.

BTW, this goes back a lot further than SPUD. A good summary of pre-2007 efforts
in this space is in a section of Pasi's draft on this from 2007:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-sarolahti-tsvwg-crosslayer-01#section-6 ,
which reminds us of TRIGTRAN (2002), INTERSEC (2003), ALIAS (2003) and TERNLI
(2006).

[I wrote this before seeing Lars's email pointing to TERNLI]

2/ The advantages of opacity (invisibility) of path characteristics should also
be in scope.

In general the tone of the text seems to be "awareness = good; unawareness =
bad". If I have detected this tone correctly, it would represent an implicit
value judgement; which would not be a good starting point for research.

* You've alluded to potential security advantages in the phrase "exploration of
trust and risk models".

* There are also evolvability advantages. I recall David Clark (I think) saying
that the rudimentary interface between transport and network was a feature not
a bug. Admittedly it's a pain for the transport to have to discover available
path capacity, path delay, etc. However, the alternative would have been to
require all L2 technologies to be able to give information that would require
them to make assumptions about the transport. That in turn would ossify
transports and L2 technologies.

We might be saying that the Internet is moving into a new phase where
performance is now more important than evolvability. That's a point to debate,
but I know you, at least, still believe that stack evolution will remain
important.

Bob