Michio and the TAPS wg,

While I was checking over DavidB's (excellent) TSVAREA minutes, the discussion of the relationship between writing to non-volatile memory and TAPS triggered an old memory. I believe this would effectively add a requirement for persistence and/or transactional semantics to the API.

In the distributed systems research community, there was work on an API for persistence and transactional semantics that came up with some nice ideas in the late 1990s. They used reflection to provide app-specific information declaratively but still separate from app code. Obviously the age of the work dates some of the details (e.g. use of CORBA or Java), and there's no explicit consideration of latency, but it's still worth trying to understand the rationale for using reflection.

I found these two papers, that are part of the old ANSA project site that Andrew Herbert kindly rescued from oblivion recently, and uploaded to more stable storage (irony intended):

Schwiderski, Scarlet, "Design and Implementation of a Persistence Service for Java," ANSA Technical Report APM.1940.02 (January 1997)
http://www.computerconservationsociety.org/ansa/97/Primary/194002.pdf

Wu, Zhixue, "A Reflective Component-Based Transaction Architecture" Middleware'98
http://www.computerconservationsociety.org/ansa/ANSAhtml/98-ansa/external/9804tb/9804tran.pdf

And this tech report, which I haven't read, from the Uni of Tromsø:

Anna-Brith A. Jakobsen and Randi Karlsen, "ReflecTS; A Reflective Transaction Service Framework for Open Applications"
https://munin.uit.no/bitstream/handle/10037/378/report.pdf;sequence=1
via https://munin.uit.no/handle/10037/378

This paper gives a good starting point:
Stroud, R. & Wu, Z., "Using Meta-Object Protocols to Implement Atomic Data Types," Distributed Syst. Engineering 952(2):168-189 In: Proc. ECOOP'95 Vol.952 No.2 pp.168-189 (1995) I can't find it online, but here's a scan of a tech report with the same title and authors: https://assets.cs.ncl.ac.uk/TRs/512.pdf

For those interested, try searching for some variation of "transaction OR persistence reflection metaobject middleware"

Bob

Bob Briscoe                               http://bobbriscoe.net/