So, my thoughts are that  I don't like the terms load or rate control, because they can make it seem like the objective is to optimise the loading or the rate - whereas the success of TCP/IP seems to rest on not causing **excessive congesion** as a result of times of overload.

The difference in what I call congetsion control  concerns the way in which a person looks at the impact of excess traffic on other traffic. If the average link capacity increases, and someone designs only for low latency, or only for high throughput or maximum bottleneck utilisation - the test cases could tend to look at these most common paths and optimise.

This is where congestion reaction methods become harder to evaluate, because if you look at self-benefit or equal sharing with friendly protocols, someone can so easily miss that it horribly impacts something different (like the impact of long lived flows on video streams....)

Whereas, as a safeguard measure TSV has in the past thought it to be much more important to know what the impact is on the most impacted paths.  i.e. What is the impact on sharing traffic, when that traffic has a very different path or a different dynamic variation in the protocol design?