On Thu, May 09, 2002 at 07:32:46PM +0100, Nathan Coast wrote:
> I'm a bit confused about lib.repo.  Should there be a single lib.repo
> shared by all projects or should you have a lib.repo for each project?

The typical usage is a single lib.repo for all of your projects.

> Also, the maven docs state "Maven can automatically download these
> dependencies from a central repository".  How do you configure maven
> to do this? And where is the central repository?

The default remote (central) repository is:

   http://jakarta.apache.org/turbine/jars

You can specify alternatives or a comma-separated list of remote
rpositories via the maven.repo.remote property.  See the Properties
document (in the Reference section) for more information.  A remote
repository is nothing more than a web server with a directory full of
JARs.

> e.g. lets say my project depends upon jdbc2_0-stdext.jar, how do I
> configure maven and where would I tell maven to get the jar from?  Is
> this a bad example as this download is from sun and requires 'click
> here to agree...'

If you wanted Maven to download that JAR automatically, then you would
copy this JAR into your private maven.repo.remote repository.  Maven
would then check that remote repository for the JAR if your lib.repo did
not already contain that JAR.

Specifying additional remote repositories is crucial for corporate users
of Maven.  Typically, a corporation has their own private repository
that holds corporate JARs, etc ... and then Maven can download JARs from
that repository when they don't exist in lib.repo.

Hope that helps.

Thanks!
Pete