Daniel Kulp <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote on 03/23/2006 06:09:59 PM:

> Frank,
>
> > There may be a requirement to make the SDO project itself 1.4
> > compliant. If so we need to fix a few places in the code that are
> > currently using generics, etc., and then do this in the SDO pom files
> > as well. You haven't been changing any of the SDO code to make it more
> > 1.5 dependent, have you?
>
> No, but I want to REALLY REALLY bad...   :-)     Java 5 is SOOO much
> nicer.    Getting typed collections from the data layers would make life

> SOOO much better.
I know how you feel. It's frustrating when you can't use the cool new
features :-)

> I'd love to see a Java 5 "extension" to the spec
> that is basically the exact same API's, just with all the collections
> typed.
I believe that future versions of the SDO spec (maybe 3.0 - around end of
year) will do this. SDO 2, on the other hand, is just a 1.4 API.

> That said, I've been completely ignoring the SDO project right
> now.   I'm still trying to get my head around all the sca stuff.    As
> long as the SDO stuff doesn't break, I've been ignoring it.   (although
> kind of want to look at the tools to make it generate code that is
> warning free and at least comes close to the style guidelines.   The
only
> warnings I have left in sca/model are in the generated code.)
We do have more flexibility with the generated classes. The SDO spec
leaves open the possiblity of generating typed List accessors, for
example. So I think it's quite reqsonable to add a generator option to
generate 1.5 interfaces.

Right now, I'm working on the generator to decouple the codegen from EMF
(I assume you've seen that discussion in the "Framework for StAX-based
model loading" thread). Once I get that cleaned up, it would be a good
time to look at adding a 1.5 option. If you'd be willing to help with
that, that would be great.

> That said, the SDO project could probably change over.   There are a few

> things in the sdo-api package that would need some changing, but those
> are minor.   There are only a few Java 5-isms in the sdo-impl package,
> none  in the sdo-plugin (which I should probably do the same thing as
> 132), and none in sdo-tools.    Basically, if you really want to change
> SDO to JDK 1.4, I could get a patch to you tomorrow.
No rush, but if you'd be willing to help with that, I'd really appreciate
it!

Thanks,
Frank.