Here are a few thoughts and questions on our SPI story. I'd like to start a discussion on these items and get your thoughts.

A. I think we should create different projects for the various types of SPI we have, for example one project for the assembly model SPI, one project for the interaction/invocation related SPI, one project for the deployment SPI, one for the management SPI etc.

If these SPI go into a spec at some point this will allow us to publish them and evolve them independently.

I also think that this allows to cut complexity, for example a contributor only interested in management will not get the other SPIs. More generally, somebody assembling/embedding a Tuscany runtime will be in a better position to pick a subset of selected pieces.

Finally this shows a clear path to people who want to extend the runtime, for example, if we put the java interface support in a different project, the WSDL interface support in another one, then somebody wanting to add ruby or javascript support will have a clear template to follow.

B. I'd like to separate interfaces and implementation classes or helpers in different projects. For example the assembly model interfaces would go into one project, the Tuscany implementation of these interfaces in a different one. In M1 we have interfaces+implementation classes but they are in the same project, in the sandbox there's no interfaces anymore for this, can you guys tell me what motivated that change?

Separate interfaces and implementation classes will allow us to swap different implementations (e.g. using different databindings, or integrated with tooling for example). It will also allow model extensions to not depend on Tuscany implementations classes (the extensions will only implement interfaces instead of extending implementation classes).

C. I would like to change the project folder structure a little and introduce a plugins/ directory where contributors could drop their extension projects/modules. It is not clear to me anymore that we need different bindings/ and containers/ folders. I'm thinking more and more that the programming model for component implementation extensions and binding extensions should be the same. Some plugins will not be implementation or binding specific, for example it should be possible to contribute a plugin that provides support for a new interface definition language. Also these plugins will have to contribute multiple extensions covering codegen/development, model, validation, deployment, install, invocation, management etc.

Any thoughts?