From: Jim Marino [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: 04 July 2006 10:02
To: tuscany-dev@ws.apache.org
Subject: Re: Extensions and new architecture

Hi Meeraj,

It's good to see we didn't scare you off quite yet ;-) Comments inline.

On Jul 4, 2006, at 1:26 AM, Meeraj Kunnumpurath wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have been away from the list for a few weeks. I am back on now
> looking at things in general.
>
> Before I disappeared, I was looking at the Groovy container and spaces

> binding. I would like to continue working on them.
Great
> I think Jim has
> refactored the Groovy container in the sandbox to fit in with the new
> extension model. Should all the new extensions (containers, bindings
> etc) be written according to the extension model (I am assuming the
> new extension model is still in the sandbox).
As some background, we currently have two proposals on the table for
moving forward (you're welcome to add a third if you have ideas):

1. Move the sandbox code ("core2") to trunk (or even a branch) and take
that as a basis for moving forward. The sandbox code incorporates some
things from M1 but is a very significant refactor to better accomodate
changes to the SCA spec and issues we encountered with M1. As part of
this move, we would refactor for modularity and simplification where
appropriate.

A set of overview slides on the spec changes as well as core2 can be
found here:

http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/incubator/tuscany/sandbox/jboynes/sca/doc/

2. Start afresh and merge pieces of M1 and core2 one step at a time
according to a set of use cases, starting with simple ones first (e.g.
bootstrap a component)

I won't go into the pros and cons of each approach since there has been
a number of emails on the list related to those.

We already have quite a bit of work going on in core2 and some have
started to jump in with extensions to it (Spring, Celtix, the Groovy
container you donated, data transformation, conversational support and
callbacks, OSGi deployment, etc.). I'd be more than happy to assist if
you're interested. In terms of the technical status of core2,  we're
still bringing up the end-to-end operation of the runtime, which should
not be too much longer (I've got it running on my machine but need to
clean up some code before checkin). All of the major subsystems are in
place and operational and we have one example ("eager init"), so it's a
matter of connecting one more piece. We are unfortunately sorely lacking
in documentation so I'm willing to provide as much direct assistance as
you need if you would like to work on core2.

We have started a scenarios page on the wiki so you may want to also
look at that as well as add to it with things you believe are
interesting and/or would like to work on:

http://wiki.apache.org/ws/Tuscany/TuscanyJava/Scenarios

Also, since we are in the process of gaining consensus, it would be good
if you had an opinion on either of the two approaches (or an
alternative)

> I am also interested in
> knowing whether anyone is working on asynchronous bindings?

I think that would be a really good thing to work on. Again, if you
would like to do it in core2, I'm more than happy to help. Perhaps
adding something to the wiki with your thoughts would be a good way to
start the process?

If you've made it to this point in the message, I hope you're not scared
off! It would be great to hear more of your input.

Jim