Jeremy, can you elaborate a bit on
SystemCompositeComponent.registerJavaObject()? The call to register
the RuntimeInfo in Launcher is the only non-test call I can find, and
the doc suggests that it's sort of a shorthand for what the builder
code might do.

While I'm asking about the Launcher:  Can someone elaborate on the
semantics of the spi.Lifecycle and the behaviour implemented by
AbstractLifecycle, esp wrt deployment?  For example, what would be the
the differences between the order of start() statements currently in
Launcher.bootRuntime():

// create runtime
runtime.start();
// deploy "composite" into runtime
composite.start();

and:

// create runtime
// deploy "composite" into runtime
runtime.start(); // shouldn't this also start the composite deployed into it?

thanks,

On 7/14/06, Jeremy Boynes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On Jul 13, 2006, at 9:36 AM, Jeremy Boynes wrote:

> I was thinking of how to load extensions into a chianti runtime and
> had the following ideas:
>
> The first idea was to have a directory into which people could
> place composites (as jar files or whatever the packaging unit is)
> which is scanned by a system service included with the boot
> runtime. All the composites found there are used to create
> components that are added in to the system composite.

I started working on this and ran into an issue locating the
extension directory. The basic issue is, how does the runtime know
where it is installed?

One technique I've used before is to have a component in the system
that can provide this type of information. This means that other
components can go to one place rather than try and figure it out for
themselves.

I added a RuntimeInfo SPI into the extension stuff to do this. For
now it just returns the install directory (the parent to the boot
directory) but we can add other runtime stuff as needed.

--
Jeremy