I'm also interested in getting tomcat working with the new
architecture, but I think it's important that the integration take
place in modular fashion so that the basic tomcat integration is as
thin as possible, and the majority of functional testing is delegated
down to dependent samples.  I'm concerned that the old testing/tomcat
infrastructure was a little too monolithic.

That said, I don't have anything concrete to offer instead (yet).. so
if folks want to just port testing/tomcat for now and are willing to
do that work, I wouldn't veto it -- I just want to register my
concerns.