On Aug 1, 2006, at 12:43 AM, Venkata Krishnan wrote:

Please help me understand the scope of "not required". If something is not required then why have it in the first place? Are these things no longer
relevant to the current Tuscany-Java?

Jim is echoing a goal that SCA should be simple enough to use and configure that additional tooling should not be required. For example, I should be able to look at a SCDL file and understand what it is doing, or I should be able to work with simple Java classes and have the runtime figure out what to do.

That's not to say that tooling cannot help - a specialized tool can make that SCDL file easier to view or edit, an IDE can make editing Java easier. But tools should be there to assist rather than be required because the underlying technology is so complex.

Take for example, java2wsdl. If I am a simple Java developer, there is a good chance I do not know WSDL and have no interest in being forced to learn it. But the machinery here needs WSDL to interoperate with other systems. We can put WSDL in the user's face by having a tool that generates WSDL that they need to run as part of a build; alternatively, we can have the runtime handle all the WSDL stuff under the covers leaving the user in their Java comfort-zone. I think the latter is better, although we will still need the tool for those users who do want to use WSDL explicitly.

--
Jeremy