Hi guys,
I thought I might kick off a thread on pluggability in the C++
implementation to get some ideas rolling around, so while these
are not 'requirements' at all, they might eventually lead to
some ;)

1. Language independence is not an issue here, so all plugins
are described and implemented in C++.

2. It should be reasonably straightforward to make a plugin
with minimum code, so things like base plugin classes as part
of the core are a good thing.

3. Plugins can be loaded on-demand, from dynamic libraries,
and many plugins can be put into a library.

4. Plugins can be statically linked with an application.

5. Plugins should be evictable too, provided that this feature
is supported on the target platform.

6. There will need to be some kind of manager thingie to keep
track of plugins and their state at runtime.

7. Plugins need to support an interface for initialization
and shutdown at the least. There will need to be some kind
of simple lifecycle put together. Request for lifecycle
transitions will need to support parameters

8. Plugins have names. Easy.

9. Plugins have versions, and dependencies on other plugins too.

10. Plugins describe and can validate their own configuration.

11. Plugins need to be signable, or equivalent.

Comments?

 --oh