REST is a very generic term, and I think it's more like a resource/ service naming pattern (URL/URI). When we say REST bindings, what are we expecting
as the REST Service ?

The resource part is really important, but the small interface part is
important too, as are the expected behaviours of the interface: i.e.,
GET is idempotent, PUT will replace a resource, POST will perform a
partial update of the state of a resource.

IMHO the first place we could go is an XML over HTTP binding and some kind
of 'generic' processing method in the service (see [0] for an example
of what's RESTful with JAX-WS, which might prompt some ideas).

 cheers
 --oh

[0] http://java.sun.com/developer/technicalArticles/WebServices/restful/