On Aug 25, 2006, at 9:32 AM, Raymond Feng wrote:

Hi,

It's a bit challenging to run a simple SCA J2SE helloworld sample. Here's the folder structure you have to deal:

helloworld
   --- bin: the launcher.jar, sca-api.jar and host-util.jar
   --- boot: core.jar, spi.jar, etc
   --- extension: axis2.jar (optional)
helloworld.jar

Then you can use the launcher to run helloworld sample.

I fully understand the value of isolation for different level of code. I just have a feeling maybe it's too much for a poor J2SE user to get the basic sample working.

Ah so this is referring to J2SE client (i.e. from main) and not in a managed environment. I still think this is not that big of a deal. I personally prefer to have directories where I can stick things than a huge classpath. It also avoids the pain of package collisions with application code. Embedded Jetty works like this and I've found it pretty straightforward.

People will also still have to deal with SCDL anyway and that should be in a well-defined location. Having extensions in a well-defined location does not seem to be an additional burden.

More importantly, if we are trying to make the use case of a single reference used by a J2SE client easier, I'd would say don't use SCA for that. Just use Axis (or some other transport) directly. Where SCA is valuable is in assembly of multiple services.

I have some related questions here:

1) Is it possible to use SCA with Tuscany inside a traditional J2SE application with a flat classpath?
Can you give a more detailed use case? If it is just accessing one service, or a couple, then my answer would probably be the same as above: use the transport directly, it will always be much easier. If you want to have an application with one SCA service in it wired to others, then a container needs to be deployed and it is not an "J2SE application" anymore, it is an "SCA application running in a J2SE host".

2) Where should the dependency jars go? It includes the dependency jars for core runtime and extensions.
I'm not sure I follow, what is "it"?
3) Can I have one extension depend on another extension?

Sure, in which case we need to calculate the transitive closure of all dependencies and adjust classpaths accordingly. OSGi will do this for us.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jim Marino" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>