Hi Frank.  I manually edited the init() method to bypass the NPE.

So SDO doesn't default to creating a dynamic reference?  Where within the
SDO layer is the static lookup performed?

What's interesting is that outbound SDO succesfully converts the Patient SDO
object to XML.  This makes me think that the SDO layer is aware of the
static objects.  Here's what the service received from Celtix (via SDO):

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?><SOAP-ENV:Envelope xmlns:SOAP-ENV="
http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/envelope/"; xmln
s:xs="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema"; xmlns:xsi="
http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance";><SOAP-ENV:Body><p0:getPatie
nt xmlns:p0="http://www.bea.com/medrec";><p0:patient><p1:FirstName
xmlns:p1="java:com.bea.proto.webservice">Li</p1:FirstNa
me><p1:LastName xmlns:p1="java:com.bea.proto.webservice
">Shen</p1:LastName></p0:patient></p0:getPatient></SOAP-ENV:Body><
/SOAP-ENV:Envelope>

-Chris