On Sep 3, 2006, at 12:09 PM, Raymond Feng wrote:

Hi, Jim.

Here's a use case from the EMD spec as I mentioned before. A JCA binding for SCA probably requires at least the operation-level DataBinding support.

For JCA, EMD uses "ServiceDescription" to describe an OutboundService or InboundService (in SCA term, Reference or Service). Each "ServiceDescription" contains a list of "FunctionDecription"s to describe the EIS functions. A "FunctionDescription" has two "DataDescription"s, one for the input and the other for the output. A "DataDescription" provides DataBinding information for the EIS data transformation from SDO to the EIS native format and vice versa.

So is it the case that the issue is not that different operations on the same service could take completely different data binding types (e.g. SDO, JAXB, XmlBeans) but that EMD as contributing to an interface definition may decorate operations with additional information about the input/output parameters? If this is correct, the "databinding technology" (e.g. SDO) is the same for all operations on the contract. There may be additional operation-level metadata to deal with things such as parameters but that is the concern of the data binding and IDL technology and not the runtime. What I want to avoid are situations like a service author being able to specify completely different databinding technologies within the same service (or even among parameters on the same operation) since they are only going to shoot themselves in the foot doing so.

Maybe I'm completely missing the point?

Jim

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jim Marino" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <tuscany-dev@ws.apache.org>
Sent: Sunday, September 03, 2006 8:09 AM
Subject: Allow multiple databindings per service contract, was: SCDL extensions to define data types for parameters and return value

I would like to understand the use cases better for why we need to support multiple databindings per service contract. Perhaps they are marginal and could be accommodated by having a component offer multiple services? If this is the case, I would prefer we follow Jervis' recommendation and simplify things to one databinding per service contract. Such use cases could be important so if anyone has examples, please share them.

Jim

Begin forwarded message: