Hi, I have been following this thread and trying to figure what the
requirements are for the asynchronous support according to SAC spec, and how
this relates to ws bindings. As far as the Celtix binding is concerned, Celtix
supports asynchronous call per JAX-WS spec, i.e., a non-blocking asynchronous
call can be achieved by either callback or polling using javax.xml.ws.Reponse
or AsyncHander defined by the jax-ws spec. This raised several issues to be
resolved when it is used in a SCA environment. The server side (service), is
relatively straightforward to do, the complexity of non-blocking calls is
already handled by Celtix. The reference side however, is a little bit more
complex, we need somehow map JAX-WS style callback interfaces to sca callback
interface.

Also I believe it is not Tuscany's responsibility to worry about an async
transport support, we should not try to implement sth in Tuscany using Jetty6
NIO or AsyncWeb. This is handled by the specific ws bindings, take the server
side as an example, my feeling is that the non-blocking return should occur
before the invocation on the target object, and when the target object returns,
the callback should also handled internally inside the ws binding.

Ignacio, if you are about to work on the async callbacks stories, I would be
very interested in working with you, especially on the ws binding part. Let me
know if there is anything I can help out.

Cheers,
Jervis