For each sample project I think that it is a good idea to include an
overview javadoc page that includes information about common setup etc.
This would include essentually the same information that you outlined for
the readme but provides a good means to link to external docs like
specifications, traditional javadoc content such as APIs and can ( and
should ) be placed on our website.

This is what I did for the SDO samples and I think that worked well.  If
people do not like it I can change it so that the it matches the desired
readme format but I prefer the overview option so that it is consistent.

Robbie

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/tuscany/cpp/sca/samples/Calculator-new/
> ,
> with a number of changes trying to simplify the sample and improve the
> consistency of the names used in the sample:
> - the subprojects follow the naming convention suggested in the SCA spec
> and the various SCA white papers on osoa.org (sample.calculator,
> sample.calculator.client etc.) helping create unique project names
> - similar naming convention for the composite names
> - changed Calculator subsystem to calculator solution
> - the business interfaces are named Calculator and Divide instead of
> CalculatorService, DivideService
> - the components are named CalculatorComponent and DivideComponent
> instead of CalculatorServiceComponent, DivideServiceComponent
> - the services are named CalculatorService and DivideService
> - and a few other minor cleanup changes, renamed readme.txt to README,
> renamed the .cmd to .bat, changed the .bat to be consistent with the
> .sh, and use the same executable name on Windows and Linux.
>
> If there's no objection, I plan to replace the existing Calculator
> sample with this new form, and also check in an updated version of
> Bigbank following the same pattern tomorrow. This will make our
> implementation of the Bigbank sample much closer to what's described in
> the OSOA Recursive Assembly white paper at
> http://www.osoa.org/display/Main/Recursive+Assembly+Model.
>
> I'm not sure what we should put in the README for each sample. Right now
> the contents of the README is Windows specific and probably obsolete, I
> was thinking of maybe having another file besides the README called
> HOWTO-DEPLOY describing how to deploy the sample to Axis2C... Comments
> and thoughts welcome.
>
> --
> Jean-Sebastien

> All sounds good to me.

The README should have a description of what the sample does, what it is
trying to demonstrate, and a summary of the
various different configurations and platforms on which it will run. I.e.
you might want to run the local or web services client on windows or *nix.
So there will necessarily be quite a number of deployment and runtime
instructions for what is actually a relatively simple demo. Your idea of
having separate DEPLOY files for the different configurations sounds like
the way to go. It might also be useful to include screen shots of the
command line showing the run commands and the expected output. Also it
would
be good to have some discussion of how to turn debug on and what it shows
you. This shouldn't be done on a sample by sample basis but I find it
quite
instructive. I have  come across a set of typical configuration errors
when
using the samples, e.g. the one that always catches me is
http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TUSCANY-499. We should create a
samples
FAQ I guess. There is quite a number of environement variables and paths
that need to be set before it all works. We should review the run scripts
see if we can add more checking as they already check that appropriate
environment variables are set. If you want some help with these things let
me know.

* * * Charlie * * *
Check out some pics of little Charlie at
http://www.flickr.com/photos/[EMAIL PROTECTED]/sets/

* * * Addresss * * *
1914 Overland Drive
Chapel Hill