I've built SDO for C++ using the Apache stdcxx C++ library on Windows XP.
Interstingly it does require a few code changes which I will submit as a
patch since they are fixing latent bugs in the current source. However, this
leaves the question of how to modify the build to allow stdcxx as an option.
For the MSVC build it seems to me that the best option is to create two
additional configurations derived from the existing Debug and Release
configurations but with the necessary changes to build against the debug or
release versions of stdcxx. I'll also update the build instructions to
explain these new options.

On Linux I'm assuming I can adapt the makefiles to use stdcxx if some
environment variable is defined eg one that supplies the location of the
stdcxx library.

Does anyone have a better ideas?

Geoff.