I also noticed it appears that mediation checks are performed at runtime (DataBindingInterceptor, the mediator service). Can't we do that at wire post-processing time and avoid these dynamic checks?

I'll take a look. Probably we can fix it (at least optimize it) post M2.

Yep sounds like the right thing to do. I commented some of the unit tests out but we have them to do development from when were are ready.

(As a separate issue, I believe this issue also highlights the need for integration level testing to catch these things)

Agree. There's also a discussion on the mailing list on the intergation testing.

Yes, this type of thing would be a primary candidate for the itests.