It's important that all dependencies from the source distribution are to released artifacts. This does not apply just to the junit version but to the pom as a whole. If you can't rely on the parent pom being there (which is the implication of you saying that the version won't be there) then you can't rely on the das parent pom being there either and you would need to remove the <parent> dependency all together; otherwise you are relying on the parent and in which case you might as well avoid the duplication of the junit version info.

--
Jeremy