To: <tuscany-dev@ws.apache.org>
Sent: Tuesday, November 07, 2006 2:28 PM
Subject: Re: Adding 2 webapp jars to binary distro

Rick wrote:

Jeremy Boynes wrote:

I think this highlights one of the challenges with Ant-based build
environments. Although Ant provides the mechanisms for executing the
build scripts it does not provide a method for locating the
dependencies needed at build-time - for example, to compile or
repackage; often they are simply checked in alongside the user's
source. This was one of the key issues that the Maven project
originally set out to solve and which led to the establishment of the
repo systems.

I have not had a chance to see how your scripts address locating these
dependencies. I realize that some, like SDO, are (undesirably) located
in the standalone distro; others like spring, jaxb, json, js are not
(or at least I hope they are not). It would help (in my currently
disconnected state) if you could describe how your environment handles
these.

We will be making all the dependencies (including these) available
through the maven repository system. As I explained in an earlier
mail, the release vote would include not just the binary and other
archives but also /all/ of the artifacts we release through the repo;
this addresses Ant's concern about IPMC approval.

At a fundamental level, I would question whether using the standalone
runtime distribution as the basis of a build environment is the way to
be going. Would we be better served producing a "library"

Wouldn't if we added javadoc, SDOgen, Java2WSDL, WSDL2Java, War Plugin commandline to this be essentially a Tuscany SDK?

Yes, it would, and for M3 it would be good to talk about whether
this is a useful thing to provide.  At the moment I am focused on
the minimum needed to solve the specific problem of building simple
webapps using ant scripts that don't require custom tasks.

I have attached the 2 ant scripts that I have completed so far to
TUSCANY-906.  I'd appreciate suggestions for improvement, especially
to the webapp one.  In their current state, they can't handle extension
dependencies.  I'm going to look into creating a custom ant task that
will support this in a similar manner to the Tuscany maven war plugin.