To answer my own question, with help from Jim, it turns out that the
webapp.scdl in the sample was not in sync with that in runtime/webapp-host;
in fact they're both different from each other. The one in the sample was
missing the resource host registry entry, and the one in runtime was missing
the databinding includes.
This begs the question of why the sample has its own copy of webapp.scdl. In
fact a lot of (if not all) the web samples have their own copy. Would it be
better/possible to have them copy it from runtime at build time?