On 19/11/06, Jean-Sebastien Delfino <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Andrew Borley wrote:
> On 11/19/06, Jean-Sebastien Delfino <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> Jean-Sebastien Delfino wrote:
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > I just modified the Axis2Dispatcher class to use our logs instead of
>> > the AXIS2 logs, so we now need to link tuscany_sca_ws_dispatcher with
>> > the tuscany_sca lib.
>> >
>> > I made the changes to the Linux build, tested with VC++ express 2005
>> > but can't make or test the changes to the VC6 and VC7 builds.
>> >
>> > This raises a bigger question.
>> > - We have VC6 and VC7 build projects/solutions checked into SVN
>> > - I am not sure which command line build works, VC6? VC7? both?
>> > - VC++ express 2005 users have to convert the VC7 projects to VC++
>> > express projects
>> > - SCA builds OK with VC++ express 2005 but as far as I know SDO
>> doesn't.
>> >
>> > Could we simplify our Windows story and do the following:
>> > - A single build story for windows, working with both SDO and SCA -
>> > with VC++ express 2005 + the Win32 platform SDK (because both are
>> free)
>> > - working from the command line?
>> >
>> > I think this would be much less confusing for everybody: One working
>> > Windows build, instead of 2 or 3 broken ones :) For this to work, we
>> > will need to stop maintaining the VC6/VC7 builds and make the VC++
>> > express build the single master build.
>> >
>> > Thoughts?
>> >

>> Correction: I am able to build the SDO runtime with VC++ express 2005
>> and run the 112 SDO test cases.
>>
>> --
>> Jean-Sebastien
>
> +1 - happy to move compilers. I don't know if VC++ express 2005 allows
> generation of the command-line makefiles - we may have to manage them
> by hand if we still want a command-line build. I know VC7 doesn't let
> you generate them - we currently use VC6 to generate them, after which
> they can be used with VC6 or VC7 (don't know about VC++ express).
>
> I don't know how much hassle it will be to manage them by hand, but I
> personally think a single windows build system would be worth the
> hassle.
>
> Cheers
> Andy

Andy,

I think it is important to have a command line build.

I couldn't find a .mak generator in VC++ express 2005 either, but
there's a vcbuild.exe command line tool which directly takes a project
or solution file.

Would it make sense to use that?

I already raised TUSCANY-918 for this work and have been fiddling around
with it when I've had the time. vcbuild.exe sounds like what we need but if
it doesn't work how we want it we will have to hand craft and manage the
makefiles...  like we do on Linux.

Cheers,

--
Pete