Simon, comments inline...

On 28/11/06, Simon Laws <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

On 11/27/06, Jean-Sebastien Delfino <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Simon Laws wrote:

> >> in VC

c:\simon\projects\eclipse3.2\cpp\sca\runtime\extensions\ws\service\axis2c\src\tuscany\sca\ws\axis2dispatchermodule.cpp(66)

> >> (__stdcall
> cast

> >> Thanks Pete,
> >>
> >> I just upgraded to 0.95 and it built. Yet to test it.

> >> So, I tried running the calculator sample with the web serivces
> >> client and
> > it crashes. The local client works fine. So it is likely an issue with
> my
> > environment but has anyone else tried with Axis2 C 0.95?
> >
> > For me it crashes in the axis2c DLL called from the line:
> >
> >   stub = (axis2_stub_t *)
> >        axis2_stub_create_with_endpoint_uri_and_client_home(env,
> > endpoint_uri,
> >            client_home);
> >
> > Which is in the axis2_Calculator_stub.cpp file.
> >
> > I'm fairly sure that my environment is set properly to use Axis2C 0.95
> > (i.e.
> > I've updated my path to point to the right version). I'll keep looking
> > but
> > It would be useful to know if some has used it successfully.
> >
> > Simon
> >
> > Simon
> >

> Hi Simon,
>
> I'm using Axis2C 0.94. Most of us are probably still using Axis2C 0.94
> as it's what we've used for our M2 release.
>
> The error you're getting is not in the SCA runtime. This Web Services
> client is not an SCA client and is using the Axis2C API directly. We may
> have to update this client to work with Axis2C 0.95... In the meantime,
> could you try to see if a real SCA client using an SCA reference with a
> WS binding works? There's such a client in the RubyCalculator sample
> under sample.calculator.wsclient.
>
> Switching to Axis2C 0.95 soon is probably a good idea anyway. Axis2C
> 0.94 is not on the Apache mirrors anymore and you have to dig to find it
> in the Apache backup archive at http://www.apache.org/dist/ws/axis2/c/.
>
> --
> Jean-Sebastien

> Hi Sebastien

Thanks for the suggestion. I've been on a little journey getting the Ruby
extension to work but I can confirm that Axis C 0.95 does work when used
between the ruby calculator ws client and the cpp calculator server. So it
sounds like you are correct and that the native C++ axis client is
suspect.

This is what I found using the Ruby extension:

1/ Don't try and use Ruby provided by Cygwin. Ruby runs fine but because
I'm
using a SVN checkout of Tuscany C++ I need to compile up the Ruby
extension
and of course the Cygwin Ruby is all set to use the GCC tool chain. I did
chase this for quite a while but gave up eventually and installed windows
(MSVC) version of Ruby. Maybe we can just update the documentation to
discuss this.

2/ The ruby extension install doc describes the install steps for windows
(
cpp/sca/doc/RubyExtension.html#winbin). This needs a little updating as

  1. Use the following command sequence to enable the extension:
     - cd <tuscany_sca_install_dir>\extensions\ruby
     - deploy.bat

doesn't match the deploy.bat script which for windows expects two
parameters.

Actually it does match ;-) The <tuscany_sca_install> directory is wherever
you have deployed Tuscany SCA C++ to. If using the VSExpress build it will
be in <sca_source_root>\deploy. So the script you are looking for here is in
<sca_source_root>\deploy\extensions\ruby\deploy.bat. This renames the
.disabled dll. I think this script is badly named and it should be
enable.bat.

The reason the dll is packaged with the .enabled extension is to prevent
errors in our binary delivery if a user does not have Ruby on their path.

:usage
echo Usage: deploy <sca-root> <build-output>
:end

- it's not clear what sca-root and build-output are intended to be
- this echo statement needs to be updated to something like

:usage
echo "Usage: deploy <sca-root> <build-output>"
:end

otherwise the < > characters confuse the DOS shell.

This deploy.bat is for use by the build only. Thanks for pointingout that
echo needs quotes.

3/ As I was building from source I ran with the SCA VCExpress project which
did the install for me (using the deploy.bat file with suitable parameters
believe).

Yes!

However it did leave me with tuscany_sca_ruby.dll.disabled in
cpp\sca\deploy\extensions\ruby\bin.

Which is why the instructions say to run the deploy.bat in the extension
install directory (It definitely needs to be renamed to enable!!)

As a ruby novice it took me a while to
work out that the "require" statement in the rubly script was referring
directly to a DLL and the fact that it was marked as ".disable" was
stopping
it working.

Generally as a newcomer to ruby (but not to Tuscany C++ in my case) it
would
be useful to have some text or preferably a picture describing the file
layout that you expect to be in place for
the Ruby extension to work properly. Currently it just suggests the
environment variables that need setting but doesn't tell you what the
results of the various steps should be. Maybe we can come up with some
scheme for the documentation of the various extensions that tells you that
you should end up with.  Perhaps something like:

deploy/
bin/
extensions/
    ruby/
       bin/
          tuscany_sca_ruby.dll
etc.

Anyhow. If I have some time I'll help to address my moans but I need to
get
on with some other things at the moment.

Regards

Simon

Cheers,

--