It's a good time to take stock of where we are and where we want to go with
SDO for Java.  Clearly there's work to be done with heading towards an
implementation of the SDO Java 2.1 spec [1,2,3],  but what else might we
do;  where do you want to take things?

[1] the new 2.1 spec ....

http://osoa.org/download/attachments/36/Java-SDO-Spec-v2.1.0-FINAL.pdf?version=1
[2] For those with a good knowledge of the 2.1 spec you can see what's
changed here ....

http://osoa.org/download/attachments/36/Java-SDO-Spec-v2.1.0-FINAL_changebars.pdf?version=1
[3] And for a brief digest of the changes see here ...

http://osoa.org/download/attachments/519/SDO_2.1_Features_Nov_2006.pdf?version=1

Does anyone have any bright ideas about value add features that they'd like
to suggest and ideally implement? While the spec work is all well and good,
I'm sure there are people out there who have said "It would be really neat
if ..."  Please feel free say it out loud by posting to the list.

On the other hand, more tests/samples are always welcome. Similarly
documentation.

For my part I've been thinking about the new spec element for compliant
change summary serialization, and I plan to put some ideas on the wiki soon.

In addition to the 2.1 work, we have a stack of JIRAs that if anyone is
feeling so inclined would be great to reduce.  I've taken a scan through to
see which might have a low bar of entry,  in that the skills required are
general skills rather than SDO implementation knowledge.  Please feel free
to scan them yourself if you feel you'd like more of a challenge.
Alternatively, as I have a reasonable grasp of the current JIRAs,  if there
are skills you have to offer, I could probably tell you reasonably quickly
where they might be applied.

If there's any maven experts out there TUSCANY-313 is a good candidate. Same
goes for TUSCANY-901and 902.

Similarly some discussion on how we might structure our code to take account
of the fact that the Interface2JavaGenerator class has a Java 5 dependency,
yet the rest has a 1.4.2 + prereq would be good (TUSCANY-257).

Maybe someone could attack TUSCANY-303, where the Java generator can only
handle a single namespace to package mapping, and this needs to be extended
to a list of such mappings (I'm not sure how deep that one gets into the
generator itself,  but may be some investigation might result in a partial
patch )

Tuscany 578 is a bucket defect for recording occasions where we throw the
wrong type of exceptions,  while not very exciting, it might be a good
candidate for someone to experience the process of submitting  a patch to an
open source project for the first time.

I would have thought that the new feature TUSCANY-893 wouldn't be too
onerous -- if you take a look and want to discuss it on the list that would
be great.

And of course I don't wany to denigrate you, the Tuscany community's
skills.  I'm sure there are those of you out there who are quite capable of
diving into some of the other issues,  but like I said,  these are the ones
that don't require you to get your head round much of the Tuscany Java SDO
implementation.

Please don't be shy.  If you think you can help we'd love to hear from you.

Regards, Kelvin.