On Dec 6, 2006, at 10:04 AM, Jeremy Boynes wrote:

On Dec 6, 2006, at 9:05 AM, Jim Marino (JIRA) wrote:

[ http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TUSCANY-973? page=comments#action_12456118 ]

Jim Marino commented on TUSCANY-973:

This needs to implement semantics similar to conversational persistence and not just use the ServletContext as a container for replication to work properly. At a certain point, the servlet engine needs to be notified of a series of changes through setAttribute. This is the same pattern we have with conversational scope. We should also have a mechanism based on intents that specify whether a particular instance should failover, otherwise, we don't need to store it in the Servlet context.

I don't see this. The conversation scope here is the HTTP session and that is represented by the HTTPSession managed by the ServletContext. That seems an obvious place to be placing the state.
Yes that is exactly what I am saying. However, notification that state has changed needs to be done similar to the way we are handling conversation persistence. None of this would use the conversational scope container.

Intent is a separate issue and we don't even have basic support for that yet (or do we?). Even if we did we can map this to whether the servlet is <distributable> or not.

Servlet? Some components we may want fail-over for, some we may not. We need a way to distinguish this.
--
Jeremy