I've just checked in the change for localtime, replacing it with localtime_r
on Unix and localtime_s on Windows.

Geoff.

On 09/12/06, Yang ZHONG <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Maybe we can also consider Thread Safety from another perspective: User
Experience.
That makes the following discussion also apples to SDO Java.

SDO has two parts: metadata and instances.
Some modeling frameworks go as far as metadata are also instances of other
metadata,
it's out of scope of normal users.
Many SDO users do not expect "instances" thread-safe:
1. Thread-safe *instances* have overhead which single-thread users and
thread-"instance" users don't want
2. Users do not necessarily use the "instance" itself as the lock, e.g.
they
may use a lock to synchronize collection of Data Graphs, processing,
resource accessing and so on

Many SDO users do expect "metadata" are thread-safe:
1. create "instances" from same Type on different threads
2. retrieve same Type/Property info on different threads
3. checking isInstanceOf against same Type on different threads

Hope we can keep improving SDO User Experience.

--

Yang ZHONG