On Mar 5, 2007, at 9:08 AM, Dan Murphy wrote:

Hi Jeremy,

I think what you're suggesting is along the lines of the 'whilst I could deploy nested composites' thought (I may have misunderstood you though)... I would have liked to deploy two separate composites as it seemed likely that the code path could be different when using nested composites (which I also planned to do, presuming these would be optimised).... this way I would
end up with tests for databindings test for :
inter component
inter composite (in a nested composite)
inter composite (not nested)
Does that make sense ?

Not really.

There may be some confusion here over "deploy." In SCA you don't "deploy" applications in the traditional sense - you contribute implementations to a domain and then assemble component hierarchies from them.

The itest plugin is designed for users to test their applications. If you want to test the internals of a databinding or how it is activated by the fabric, I'd suggest testing that directly. You can get much better coverage using the internal SPIs than you can with a fairly convoluted multi-vm setup. And that wouldn't involve "deploying" anything.

If you look at trunk, we optimize away the implementations of composites and just have connections between leaf components so all of that would come down to "inter component." There are two forms that can take:
* connection between two components in the same VM
* binding of component service or reference to a transport

Each of those only requires a single VM to test.

Ideally I would like to do the inter composite (not nested) between 2 jvms,
Sebastien's did something similar (although in a single JVM) by
instantiating a second SCATestCase to deploy additional composites (
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/tuscany/branches/sca- java-integration/testing/sca/itest/bindings/bindingsclient/src/test/ java/org/apache/tuscany/sca/itest/WSBindingsClientTestCase.java
)
I was wondering if the there are plans to improve iTest (& plugin if
applicable) to facilitate multi-vm / non-nested multiple composite testing.

The itest plugin works by "deploying" a test composite to a local domain running inside Maven. With SCA's abstraction of the environment from the programming model, that provides quite a lot of support for integration testing of a composite.

I think it would be good to support "deployment" to a different domain, which really means contributing the composite to a remote server through a remote ContributionService - something a bit like Cargo would be good to have.

Another improvement would be a mock framework for composites that allow the simulation of external references - I've been wondering about integrating the itest plugin with EasyMock for that.

Those are both just ideas rather than "plans" - if this is something that interests you jump on in.
--
Jeremy