[snip]
Jean-Sebastien Delfino wrote:
comments inline

Venkata Krishnan wrote:
Hi,

I am trying to bring the SPI model and the Loaders in sync with the current
level of the specs as available on OSOA site.  I am currently looking at
'references' - as and how they are defined in ComponentType,
ComponentDefinition and Composite and have the following questions:  -

With respect to references defined in ComponentDefitions and the 'target'
attribute therein
- the specs says that whatever is mentioned in the target overrides that
which is mentioned in the implementation. Now, my understanding is that a target is used to wire a reference to another Component's service. Given this, I thought defining a target makes sense only within a composite. So what does it mean by an implementation specifying a target for a reference?

The idea is to allow a component implementation developed with a particular composition in mind to specify a target right in the implementation. This makes the SCA programming model more compact as you may not even have to write SCDL then. SCA for PHP for example leverages this capability, here's a sample from http://us2.php.net/manual/en/ref.SCA.php:
<?php
  /**
    * The currency exchange rate service to use.
    *
    * @reference
    * @binding.php ../ExchangeRate/ExchangeRate.php
    */
  public $exchange_rate;
?>

The componentType/reference/target attribute allows you to express the same thing in a .componentType SCDL file.

Then later if you want to reuse your component implementation in other compositions you can rewire the reference using a component/reference/target attribute in the particular component declaration, without changing your implementation.

More generally, I've started to look more closely at the model spi as well as I'm trying to see how to reuse it as an individual module, and I'm not sure that the current ReferenceDefinition and ReferenceTarget classes correctly represent references as defined in the SCA assembly spec.

The assembly spec defines the following:
- abstract reference definitions in constraining types
- reference definitions in component types
- component references
- composite references

I'll try to come up with some ideas for an accurate representation of references at these 4 levels.

Venkat,

I've checked in a few interfaces representing the 4 kinds of References above at http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/tuscany/branches/sca-java-integration/sca/assembly/src/main/java/org/apache/tuscany/assembly/model/ (plus a few base interfaces to represent SCA interfaces, multiplicity, basically what I found in the SCA assembly spec for references).

I think that we're going to need interfaces for the model SPI to achieve good modularization of the Kernel, so I thought I'd try to have these few interfaces actually in sync with the SCA 1.0 assembly spec.

It's probably premature to try to use this assembly module as I just got it barely building today and it's not used by the rest of the runtime, but I hope that the few interfaces can help give some ideas or at least help initiate a discussion on how best to represent SCA assembly references.

Let me know what you think.