On 3/15/07, Pete Robbins <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

On 15/03/07, ant elder <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On 3/15/07, Pete Robbins <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > On 15/03/07, ant elder <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > >
> > > So that prompted me to check the licenses. Zlib and libxml2 look
fine
> > > think though they do need to be added to the Tuscany LICENSE and
> NOTICE
> > > files if the Tuscany code is using those APIs whether or not Tuscany
> > > Native
> > > is distributing them. Looks like iconv is LGPL which isn't ASF
> friendly.
> > > Is
> > > the Tuscany Native code actually using the iconv APIs?
> > >
> > >   ...ant
> >

> > we do not use iconv at all. It just has to be there for libxml2 to
work.

> > The only APIs used are for libxml2. I did not think that use of an API
> > requires a mention in the NOTICE file as we are not including any
> libxml2
> > artifacts. If it does then do we need to add entries for:
> > Ruby
> > Python
> > Curl
> > Httpd
> > Axis2c
> > gcc
> > java
> > ant
> > automake
> > autoconf
> >
> > ?
>

> I can't find a web page to point to with a definitive answer right now,
> but
> this is how i thought this worked:
>
> If ASF code directly uses the APIs of a third party work then you need
> mention this in the LICENSE and NOTICE files (unless its another ASF
> project). Its not about whether or not we actually distribute the third
> party work, its if the third party code is required to make a
functioning
> build of our project.
>
> I could be wrong, does anyone else know?
>
>   ...ant

All the NOTICE files I look at only mention included works. Can you check
this out?

I can't find anything definitive. Browsing the download areas its easy to
find artifacts that *do* have NOTICE files that mention dependent works that
are not distributed.  I'll leave it to you to take further or ignore. The
ASF copyright is missing from the NOTICE files though so I think you do need
to fix that (sorry i missed that earlier). There's an eg NOTICE file at:
http://www.apache.org/licenses/example-NOTICE.txt